Prickly heat is caused when you tend to sweat a lot more than usual and your sweat glands get blocked. This usually occurs when your sweat guts get obstructed. The sweat gets leaked into the skin and thus your skin gets inflamed around that area. Touching it would cause pain or irritation (prick) and thus red rash starts appearing. Prickly Heat generally happens during summer as it’s during summer when you tend to sweat more. Thus, it is common to that you might get prickly heat or a rash if you sweat & perspire easily.
You need to address the root cause of prickly heat which is sweating. Avoid staying in places for a long time where you tend to sweat more.
You must make your clothing choices according to the season and temperature. Wearing excessive clothes is simply make you sweat more and clog your sweat glands. Make sure that there is not much friction caused in your skin due to your activities and try to stay as cool as possible beating the heat wave. You should also avoid going out in the scorching sun during the day time. Make sure that you only start going out of your house or office after 4 or 5 in the evenings. Wear light clothing for summer and cotton is preferred as it least interferes with your skin. Drinking plenty of water also makes up for the hydration which is generally lost due to sweating. You should also know how to manage your skin this summer.
If your skin or body is sensitive, sometimes you just can’t avoid getting prickly heats. So here are some steps which would make it easier for you to get rid of prickly heat.
- First and foremost, never touch the prickly heat or the area surrounding it.
- Take antihistamines once a day.
- Spray and prickly heat powders might be effective. This would help to fight the infection and helps to get rid of it quickly.
- Make sure that the area is open and gets good enough ventilation. Good ventilation will help to heal the rash quickly.
- Make sure you bathe at least twice a day. This will help to open your pores and help your sweat glands to work better. Use a mild and skin friendly soap which will help to get rid of the sweat rash.