Amazon.in saw its biggest Great Indian Festival celebration, with sellers seeing record sales across popular categories in Wave 1 of the Great Indian Festival from September 29 – October 4 preceded by a 12-hour Prime Early Access.
As per leading research agency Nielsen*, Amazon.in witnessed the highest share of transacting customers & purchases across all online shopping platforms in the first 5 days of the Great Indian Festival period.
“The first wave of the Great Indian Festival was our biggest celebration ever with Amazon.in — witnessing highest share of transacting customers and purchases across all marketplaces in India; orders from 99.4% pincodes; over 65,000 sellers from 500+ cities receiving orders in just five days and customers from over 15,000 pin codes joining Prime,” said Amit Agarwal, Senior Vice President and Country Head, Amazon India. “We are especially excited to see that small businesses across India are embracing technology to find success with Amazon by serving customers with the largest selection of products at great value & convenience,” he added.
Overall scale, Reach and customer response:
- Customers from 99.4% of India’s postal codes placed an order during the Great Indian Festival.
- Customers loved Amazon.in Hindi recording a 4.6X increase in new customers coming through Amazon.in in Hindi. The site saw a 2.5X increase in traffic and 3.6X increase in unit sales
- 62% of customers who placed orders for appliances had them delivered and installed within 36 hours
- 50% of Prime members who placed their order in the first 2 days had them delivered within 48 hours
- 50% of orders for large appliances were delivered in just 48 hours.
- On the busiest day, there were more than 600 flights delivering packages for our customers
- We delivered to customers in far and remote locations like Longewala (Thar Desert), Jaigaon & Lepchakha (West Bengal), Chapi (Mizoram), Kaho & Dibang (Arunachal Pradesh), Dhanushkodi (Tamil Nadu), Siniolchu (Sikkim), Sonbarsa (Bihar), Leh(Ladakh), Pipar(Gujarat) among others
- Over 65,000 sellers from 500+ cities receive orders in just 5 days
- Customers from 116 new pin-codes placed orders during the Great Indian Festival
- Thousands of recorded their highest ever 1 day sale during the Great Indian Festival
- Sellers witnessed ~3X increase in unit sales from non-metro customers including newly launched sellers who witnessed an average increase of ~1.5X units
- 209 Karigar sellers and 250 Launchpad sellers received orders during the Great Indian Festival.
- Top handicraft sellers included Odisha Handloom: selling Sambalpuri sarees; Blocks of India: selling Jaipuri block print dohars and kitchen linen, TJ Sarees: selling Bengal Handloom sarees; Tribes of India with multiple products, JAPI: selling north eastern handicrafts products
- Launchpad sellers received 1.7X unit orders over last Great Indian Festival. Top Launchpad brands included Peebuddy, Sirona & Yogabar
- Top brands led by women entrepreneurs showed stellar growth with top brands being Swara Creations, Surprise Someone and Stonesoup